Translate

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My Own Limo



I walk to work. An entire 2 blocks. Every day.
LIke a mailman.
In rain or shine.

Everyday I wave to the same neighbor, see the same bus driving her route, and the same kids walking to school.

Yesterday it was a particularly cold walk.
Nose to my scarf, mug of coffee in hand, I walked as quickly as I could to my office.
My waves were brief, my pace was swift and, what's this? a variation from the routine.

After picking up the neighbor girl, the school bus pulled up along side me. The driver threw back her window and over the roar of the bus declared, "I don't know how you do it!"

"It sure is cold this morning!" I answered perplexed. Usually a wave is the extent of our daily exchange.

"What will you do when it snows?" she asked.

I thought to myself, "I'll wear boots of course" but fearing that would sound snarky-er than I intended, I jokingly said, "Call in sick I guess". I smiled and continued on trying to get indoors as quickly as possible.

Not finished with our conversation, the bus trailed alongside me for a feet while the driver offered, "Well you know I could always just pick you up!"

"I'll keep that in mind!" I waved and carried on.

Tickled by the offer I shared the story at work. We laughed but I threatened that if I ever take the driver up on her kind offer, I would live tweet the whole event and hashtag #perksoftheDistrictOffice

Or #checkoutmylimo
Or #Iridethelongbus
Or #myBosswontmind

What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers