Translate

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The BEST Writing Advice Ever. And I mean ever!



It was just in the last year or two that, thanks to the advice of Jeff Goins I was able to finally admit that I was a writer.
Which was a super hard thing to do - even though I had a weekly column in our local newspaper,
and was a regular contributor to a women's ministry website,
and was asked to coauthor a memoir,
while blogging. 

But I did. I took the very scary leap from begrudgingly, sheepishly admitting I like to piddle with words to "Yes, I'm a writer."

And for anyone who's ever longed
dreamed
imagined
or wished
to write, you know that is a very scary admission.

But I did it. And I'm a writer.



However, last year I went to work full time. I resigned from the paper. And for other reasons, the book project lost it's momentum. But I blog.

Except I don't much anymore because, well you know; 5 kids, work, dog, cat, laundry, menu planning, basketball games .... life.

And all that living - which, I fully admit is a completely awesome life - was causing me to feel angst every time it kept me from writing.
How can I be a writer who doesn't write?

So I read up on how to balance living and writing and here's some of the advice I followed:
  • read everyday
  • write everyday
  • read your own writing everyday
  • keep a journal
  • follow 5 new people everyday
  • comment on at least 5 new blogs
  • use Instagram to promote your blog
  • answer your Twitter followers
  • promote your best blogs

um, if I can't even find the .5 nanoseconds it takes to fire up my laptop for the purpose of writing HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO FIND THE TIME TO DO ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED ADVICE??

So, honestly for the last 6 months not only have I felt frustrated that I'm not writing much, I feel like a failure because I can't even do the little things other writers have found successful when managing work, family and creating.

But then! Then hubs sent me this:








and I discovered the BEST writing advice I have ever, in  my whole entire life read:

The link in the above tweet is for Glennon Melton's Momastery blog Forever Tries from January 19, 2014. It reads, in part:
"If your hands are too full to grab that idea out of the air- let it go. To have your hands full is a ludicrous blessing. So if you must- if you must let go of the urgent to tend to the important then do it, you lucky dog. Let it go- smile and let that idea or opportunity pass onto another sister knowing that more will come. There is always more on its way – more opportunities, more ideas, more love. Think abundance- always think abundance. Belief in abundance is the source of all generosity and peace. Know that there is enough. Know that you are enough. Know that you have enough. Enough time, enough talent, enough love."
This? This made me cry.

Sobbed, really because I can't count my comments, and write everyday, and promote myself on Twitter. So instead of mourning the words I'm not getting down - and subsequently taking my frustration out on my family - I have the best writing advice yet; Let it go.

Because it makes sense doesn't it? If I l'm meant to write but can't now why do I believe I'll lose the words? What if there are enough words? What if there is enough to say? What if I'll get to it? Thinking of it this way compels me to agree with Glennon. She goes on to say,

"You can't miss your boat. It's yours. It stays docked till you're ready. The only boat you can miss is someone else's."

And suddenly caring for my family isn't the thing that keeps me from writing. It's the thing I get to do until I get to the writing!

Please, please read Glennon's blog. I bet you'll be very blessed to do so.

And p.s. I bet this theory applies to more than writing. I bet if you're wrestling with that thing that you long to do too, this notion of seeing your life as abundant, rather than focusing on what you're missing out on, might agree with you as well. Maybe generosity is real. Maybe, just maybe, there is enough for you too.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers