Translate

Saturday, December 20, 2014

43 Year Old Man Graduates while his Wife & 5 Kids Applaud




3 years and 4 months ago my husband returned to college.
Last night we attended a reception and ceremony as he received his Preservice Teaching Award and Summa Cum Laude honors. 
Today he will graduate.
And I, and our 5 children, will don our best garb, charge up the camera and travel to the ceremony.

There I will cry.
Nay, I will weep tears of joy and tears of relief as this journey has culminated into the 
biggest finish line of our adult lives.

I wrote about his decision to return to school here, and everyday since that decision was made, I have done some of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I've humbled myself in ways I never imagined I would. And I watched as others passed over us with their opportunities and their things and their purchasing power. 

While I'd like to say it was a breeze to do what we felt we were supposed to do, I can't. Instead if I'm honest I will tell you there were times it was awful. Taxing. My soul wore thin. A lot. I even, embarrassingly admit that I thought about giving up on the whole notion of supporting this midlife reorganization.
There were times when the words, "Please stop, this is too hard. I was wrong. I can't do this with you" would hoover in my heart, but never could I get the words to fall from my lips.

Don't our dreams deserve perseverance? Wouldn't I want his support if the roles were reversed? And didn't I willingly take his hand in mine and decide to go for it?

If the way through to our dreams was harder than I thought, it wasn't the dream's fault. It wasn't even the road's fault. It was mine. Maybe I didn't have the gumption and bravery to see it through.

My how weak I really am.




Except I'm not. I'm not weak at all.
I'm human.
And it's graduation.
And my baby did it! And he did with honors.


He did it.
We did it.
We made it.

So we're all gonna get dressed up today. And take pictures.
And eat special food.
And laugh.
And cry.

Because we didn't quit.

We did it.

We can do hard things. And, to me, that is exactly  what the title of this blog is about; writing a better story with everyday, every opportunity and every journey. So Baby, let's make this epic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers