Pages

Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Menu Monday

I read a fantastic article this week from The New York Times about the importance of telling your children the stories of your family: The Stories That Bind Us. Apparently knowing their history can make children more resilient.

If I want to do anything for my children it is that ... let them know where they came from, how they got here, what we overcame in the process, what went right for us and, yes, what went wrong. Knowing their history is a large component of making them feel connected to something bigger than themselves.
Feeling connected creates a bond.
A bond connects us through thick and thin.

That's why when our family was gathered around the table for brunch on Sunday we tell stories. We eat and we talk. I love that. I love that so much that I'm willing to cook (and destroy the kitchen in the process) in order to bring my family together around a meal.

So this meal plan I make every week - yes it's about staying in a budget and serving healthy(ish) food but it's also so much more. Do you talk at the table? 

Monday - Pasta Alfredo Bake, Broccoli with Breadsticks
I boil Rotini pasta, rinse and layer in 9x13 with Bertolli's Alfredo Sauce, mozzarella and repeat. Sometimes I toss in cooked chicken if I have any. Then I bake till bubbly. I always have extra Alfredo sauce for the kids. It's a staple at our house!

Tuesday - Taco Tuesday

Wednesday - Pioneer Woman Marlboro Man Sandwiches and Roasted Potatoes (crockpot)

Thursday -Rhodes Pizza
my family loved! loved! loved! I made a cheese pizza, a sausage and -using Alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce - I made a chicken/Alfredo pizza with provolone cheese. C'mon! It was divine!
.
Friday - Fish with Baked Potatoes
I just checked what looked good in my freezer section and ended up with a Parmesan crusted Tilapia and beer battered shrimp

Saturday - Spaghetti Pizza Style
Make this with whatever toppings you like. The make ahead feature is nice too, but I make mine in a large jelly roll pan as my family likes a thinner "crust" of spaghetti noodles.I took to a potluck and it was enjoyed by all.

Brunch - Chicken n Waffles
I bought some skinless chicken tenders, dredged them in flour and baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. We also used our waffle maker to make buttermilk waffles. The combination is weird but oh, so good!



If you love collecting recipes be sure to check out The OrgJunkie She has a great link up with so many menus & recipes!