Translate

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Stick A Pin In It


someecards.com - Instead of organizing and cleaning my house, I pin ideas on how to organize and clean my house. The irony is not lost on me.I consider myself a technologically advanced, modern mother. The fact that I have more social networking accounts than bank accounts validates this statement. I tweet, blog, post, pin and have klout. I mostly enjoy all of it with exception to the latest social website to take the internet by storm. Pinterest is ruining everything. Allow me to explain.

Pinterest, in case you’re unaware, is a virtual bulletin board. Users can create a board for anything imaginable. Then, as Pinners surf the internet they can collect any idea, photo or website in one organized location. You can pin ideas for every holiday, any possible party theme, organizational tricks for your home, as well as any number of recipes or crafts.

In addition, Pinterest users can have access to other pinner's boards. Maybe there is a tech guru on Pinterest and following him or her will give you quick, concise access to all the latest gadgets. You can also follow the boards of teachers, fashionistas, interior decorators, web designers or your best friend.

To be honest, it is not that much different than electronic hoarding.
This brings me to my aforementioned complaint. I like Pinterest. Heck, I admit I even use it but I am not one of those women who actually create or bake every single item and idea they pin.

In case you haven’t noticed there is a magnamous amount of women walking around in homemade skirts and scarves, carrying handcrafted baskets full of muffins they made with wheat they personally ground while wearing shoes they souled by hand from recycled material.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Good on them for saving a dime or repurposing that empty gallon of milk. But hello, social sites on the internet are a virtual community. It's not real people! The majority of the world isn’t updating Facebook and Twitter with a sense of authenticity. Admittedly, my own posts are strategically scheduled to reach an optimal audience with a brilliantly researched quote in order to make you think I’m the perfect ratio of inspirational and hilarious.

Does the real world really need all those lofty ideas and intense recipes to materialize? Or more specifically, do I really need you flaunting your perfectly designed home and absolutely delicious, made from scratch pies in my face? I'm already treading water here, ladies. When you bring your Pinterest creations to life you are only making me feel less adequate than I already am. I am a perfectly good mother. Just because you can grow cotton in a biodegradable container on your windowsill, spin it into organic diapers and wash them by hand in a soap you made from ingredients you have on hand in your pantry, does not make you a better mother than me.

I mean, if I was intended to make my own homemade anything I would have been born in the pioneer days. Instead it's 2013. These are the days of superstores. I can buy anything I need, bring it home, unwrap it and pass it off as a perfectly fine consumable product.

Listen, I admit I pinned that Ultimate Brownie Decadent Dessert but that's because I wanted to eat it - not actually make it. That scarf fashioned from an old t-shirt? Of course it's adorable but if I had cute little t-shirts lying around my house I'd be wearing them not cutting them up!

I suggest we all just agree to leave those lofty ideas and cutesy, crafty, good intentions where they belong; in the cloud. We all know the internet is designed to encourage passivity not actual activity. You dedicated pinners need to get a clue and do what the rest of the world does; kill endless hours imagining you have the capacity and finances to make cool stuff. Unless of course you're my friend, neighbor or coworker in which case I would totally eat those brownies if you share them. Why? Because I'm the mom and I said so! That's why!

(This article appears as a part of my weekly series in the Monmouth Daily Review Atlas)

Thanks for reading and if you liked it would you share it? Thanks!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers