Translate

Friday, December 21, 2012

We Can Learn A lot from Who-Ville



I've heard conflicting reports from Newtown, Connecticut although I won't bother to insert the links here. Truth is my tears fall and my heart sinks every time another reporter covers yet another senseless funeral. I can't bear to Google 'Newtown Shootings' one more time.

Maybe you've heard the same things I have: either Newtown residents are removing their Christmas decorations or, in honor, of the victims they are putting them up. I hope they are putting them up because if they are removing Christmas I would remind them of the Whos down in Who-ville.

As you know, the Grinch came and took trees, packages, stockings and food from the Whos. He took it all away so he wouldn't have to listen to their cheery, ridiculousness.

But as we know he was unsuccessful. The Grinch himself said, "Christmas came anyway! It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes and bags. Maybe Christmas, perhaps means a little bit more!"

It is friend. Christmas is about more than gifts and trees and feasts. You can take all those things away. Christmas will still come.
You can have the nation's worst tragedy in your town and
Christmas will still come.
You can go to the funeral of your lost child and
Christmas will still come.
You might wish Christmas away but
Christmas will still come.



The media might be hounding you
and wooden angels line your lane
while 26 Christmas trees remind you of every lost soul,
the firemen can stand at attention when the hearse rolls by
but Christmas will still come.

I can only imagine the deep, soul wrenching waves of grief that roll over the Newtown's parents' souls. And my God I'm so sorry. The entire nation is sorry and we all are sending you our love and prayers.

But this I know. Christmas will come.
Don't try and remove it.
Don't take your decorations down.
Don't abandon your plans and your gifts and hold on tight to the family and friends you do have.

Christmas is coming.



No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers