Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Great Banquet



I felt like I was in heaven on Saturday.

I was a guest at a banquet. There were many people there. Different people. People who spoke other languages.

As I walked a little dazed along the food line humbly holding out my plate to the hosts I was given hot, delicious smelling ethnic food of many varieties as well as food I recognized like hot dogs and chips.

I shuffled looking for a seat amongst strangers. Should I join this table? Should I sit alone?
My eyes scanned the crowd, my ears taking in the laughter and chatter.

Food kept arriving to the table and multiplying - more than enough for everyone.
We were eating until we were full and then some.
The volume was high.
Conversations floated above my head with words I didn't recognize.

I looked around, admiring the smiles on the faces of people I couldn't communicate with.
"Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me!" I heard in broken English. I looked up. A man was trying to get my attention. He wanted to ask me if I had enough food.
I graciously thanked him. I had more than enough.

I continued eating delicious new foods feeling merry and disoriented at the same time.
The volume and conversations were growing louder.
I moved my eyes over the crowd and saw old and young people.
Brown people, yellow people and white people.
All of us together, partaking, enjoying.
Communing.

I looked across the table at my husband who was enjoying his meal with vigor.
He met my gaze and I leaned in. "This is like heaven," I said.
Silently he nodded and my eyes filled. Blinking back tears I returned my focus to my food and the jovial voices around us as they continued to crescendo.

It was a wonderful banquet.
We were eating at the victory pot-luck hosted by a few parents from the Monmouth-Roseville soccer team, the group of boys (and girl) that my husband has the great honor of coaching.

But to me...
it was really
a glimpse of what I imagine heaven will be like.

"Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb." Revelation 19:9 "...I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb..." Rev 7:9





No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers