Translate

Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to School Traditions

On the first day of school I did what every other mother on
Facebook
Twitter
and Instagram did ....
I took the annual "Back to School" photo.
Our regular shot?
The piano.
That way we can watch the kids grow taller over the years.
Here's my Tribe....
























But we also have one other Back to School tradition in our home.... on the eve of the first day of school my husband prays for each of our children and this year I wasn't so sure our oldest would be ok with it. I mean, let's be honest, praying isn't the coolest thing to do especially when you are a teenager on the brink of your senior year. Pausing for a spiritual moment is probably like social status suicide.

But she did.

The little girls also welcomed dad's tradition. In fact, they crawled up in his lap and snuggled as he asked for favor, health and blessings. My heart fluttered a bit at their beautiful innocence.

The boys, well I wasn't sure how that was going to go. Would they snicker at our tradition? Scoff when Dad spoke gently over them with encouraging words? I mean it is junior high. They can't hardly be bothered to carry on much of a conversation with their embarrassing parents let alone be seen with us.

But look. Before sending them off to school Daddy drew them into his embrace and rather than refuse ... they let him.



Notice both boys still have their hands in their pockets. They didn't return the hug by any means and yet it was such a tender moment as they yielded to their father.












Our children have a lot to deal with. They are choosing everyday whether or not to listen to teachers, follow rules and apply themselves.




They are choosing friends and exploring activities and social clubs that are interesting to them. These decisions are laying the foundations by which they will build the rest of their lives.




I can't make them good students.




I can't pick their friends.




All I can do is guide them in the best way that I know how.




That's why prayer is one of our Back to School traditions.



I may have chosen to snap these photos rather than participate in the moment but make no mistake;

I am eternally grateful for each and every one of my children.

And any help from above I can get ... I welcome it.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
What about your family? Do you have any unique Back to School traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers