Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Anne Lamott Tweeted Me!

I started this blog because (at the sake of sounding dramatic) I want 'To Write a Better Story' like I want to breathe.

I want my life to be a fantastically entertaining story when my grand kids sit down and tell their kids about "Stephanie the Great" (thank you Bill Cosby, creator of Little Bill).

I want my kids to tell tales of  bravery and tenacity. I want them to marvel at how happy I was despite my darkest moments. I want them to have a smirk of admiration when they remember what a tough broad I was.

And ('cause that's not enough)

I want to write. Write a story. Stories.
I want to write.
I want to be a writer.

So I've been working on that for 2 years.
Two. Years.

I blog (because apparently that's what aspiring writers do) and
I author a weekly series in my local paper.

I AM writing.
I guess you could say I am a WRITER. (Thank you Jeff Goins. Seriously, thank you!)



Here's the thing .... sure I blog and I got my parenting advice column going on but ... I want to tell my story. I think about it all the time. I think about how I would tell it. I imagine releasing it and sharing it with the world.


And then fear grips my heart.

I believe if I write my story, my truth, it could be painful for loved ones to read.

So I don't do it.
I don't tell the story.
I don't write it out.
I won't speak of it.
Which means my kids may grow up never knowing their history. They'll never hear about the great betrayal or bear witness to my solitary transformative moment.

Transformative.


Earlier today......

I checked in on Twitter today for a brief moment between tasks at school. I saw Anne Lamott was doing a Twitter Chat sponsored by Penguin Publishers. By the way you should know ... I love Anne Lamott. I loved Bird by Bird (it was one of the first books I read as I embarked on my soyouwannabeawriter journey). I asked her in 140 characters if writing a story was worth it if it could potentially hurt those I love.

Essentially I wanted to know the answer to the question that burns at my soul.... is my story worth it?





Is my story worth it?

All I know is that is exactly what I wanted/needed to hear.
Anne Lamott, thank you.
Thank you.


In honor of Mother's Day you should read her essay from Some Assembly Required. It's worth it - go ahead... click over!


Q. What did you do writer friend? Did you write about "it" and did your family support you? Turn away from you? How did you deal with the fallout?


In a world where there are a million blogs and not enough time to read them I thank you for visiting mine!

10 comments:

  1. Yes! It is worth it! I hope you have your affirmation now. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree write it. If you need to disguise it as fiction than do so. But you won't be able to move on and write other stories until you tell the one that is eating away at you. Get it out. Even if no one sees it but you. Put it down on paper (or a computer screen) so that you can move forward and write, write, write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about writing it just for me. Perhaps getting it out of me will be enough. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I <3 Anne Lamott. Operating Instructions saved me! you should take her advice..she knows of what she speaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you. And yes, she does know doesn't she?

      Delete
  4. I'd say it depends on what "it" is. With kids you need to be careful. As the physician credo goes, Do No Harm. But write it you should in some guise or another. I write about my family. My sister doesn't always agree I should say what I do, specifically about our father, but I do it anyway. She gets over it. You'll find a way. And you'll be the better writer for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you StephB & to each of you who took the time to visit, read and comment on my blog. I love yeahwrite and the people I've become connected to through it!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Stephanie. It depends what "it" is. One thing to think about - once it is out, it's out, and you can never take it back.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Smart Layers