Pages

Translate

Monday, February 27, 2012

Menu Monday

It's Menu Monday here at To Write a Better Story. And I'm happy to share with you what I call Leftover Recipes. That is the meals I create from a previous version of a dish I've already made. These second time around meals are important to me for 2 reasons. 1. We're on a super tight budget so I never, ever throw food away. and 2. As a ridiculously overworked mother of 5 why wouldn't I take every chance I have to cut my kitchen prep time down?

Think ahead! Can you cook twice as much ground beef, chicken or potatoes as you need now and save what your family didn't eat for a quick meal later? For example:

Roasted or Pan Fried Potatoes = a quick skillet breakfast - add fried egg
Left over chicken = Campbells Chicken Enchiladas
Ground Beef = taco meat - add shells and cheese
Ground sausage = Italian Veggie & Pasta soup (good as Olive Garden's) - add bread sticks
Left over Pork Chops = Chinese Stir Fry - add veggies & your favorite sauce w rice
Ground Sausage = Sausage and Cheese Omelet
Biscuits = Ham, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
Chicken = Chicken Tacos - add taco seasoning and shells and cheese
Mashed Potatoes = Twice Baked Potatoes
Roast = Stroganoff - add cream of celery & onion soup & sour cream & cooked egg noodles
Roast = Beef Sandwiches - add dry Italian seasoning and broth
Taco Meat = Taco Pizza or Taco Salad
Meatballs = Meatball Subs - use a hot dog bun for easy handling
Roast = BBQ Sandwiches - add your favorite sauce
Chicken = Quesadillas

The point is to think in ways that cut your cooking time by preparing ahead. It seems easier for me to cook five pounds of ground beef at one time than cook ground beef three times in one week. Maybe it's just me?

What are your tips to cutting kitchen time in half?

If you love collecting recipes online you've gotta check out this site!