Translate

Friday, February 3, 2012

Lessons in Greater Than & Equals Finance Friday

I was working one night at the store when my boss asked me a little more about my story.
"Your husband is a student?"
"Yes, full time"
"He doesn't work?"
"No he does has found some great side jobs as ..."
"Oh, that's right! A coach."
"Yep!"
"And you have five kids?"
"Uh-huh!"
She: stares at me with a tilty head as if computing my hourly wage versus your standard cost of living expenses.
Me: smiles and continues working my mad customer service skills.



Later as it's just her and I closing up the store boss says,
"Not to be personal but how do you make it with a family your size?"
Thinking that was pretty personal I smiled and answered "Well, things are pretty thin right now. G'night"


Lemme tell ya something! You'd be amazed at what you can live without. Even at our lowest since-before-I-had-kids-income-level I still have more, much more than many people.
But just incase you too wonder how we do it. Watch:

our INCOME = our Living Expenses

our Living Expenses are not > than our INCOME


What qualifies as Living Expenses?
  • mortgage
  • food
  • electricity
  • gas
  • water
  • phone
  • insurance
  • internet

What our Living Expenses are NOT:

  • going out to eat
  • clothes
  • purses
  • scarves (sigh)
  • accessories
  • movies
  • dates
  • vacations
  • car payments
  • credit card bills
  • manicures
  • pedicures
  • hair cuts
  • golf memberships
  • cable or digital t.v. 
  • concession stand food
  • updating our computers
  • updating our phones
  • sports gear
  • team photos
  • Starbucks
  • books
  • toys
  • dance class
  • piano lessons
  • swimming lessons
  • or in other words, basically we don't consume, buy or rent anything extra.


We do we have?
A warm home, healthy kids and lots of free fun!
We have love.
And for us, for now
that's enough.
In fact, it's more than enough.

Sure someday our INCOME will be > than my Living Expenses.
But I don't think at the end of this race the one with the most money wins.
It's not important to me to make money so much as it is to make memories.

I don't blame my boss for her amazement as she peers into our lives from her little window outside my life. Really! How could she understand we have enough? More than enough?


What about you? Think you don't have a penny to spare? Disappointed that you're not saving every month? I have a radical idea. Stop spending money. Cut out the shopping and eating out and entertainment. If you did that for 30 days, how much money could you sock away in savings? 

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I have been trying to cut out fast food in our diets for health and monetary reasons.

    I also try to cut out buying books. I think 60 odd books that I have not read yet will hold me over for a while. ;)

    Let's see. I never buy clothes, so that one is okay for me. In fact, I frequently donate clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley! Fast food can be hard to cut out, I get that! Oh the convenience of it all! But that's why I went to menu planning. I even plan my lunches (and I plan good ones that I will want to eat!). You sound like an avid reader! We use our library a ton! I also hunt for free ebooks whenever I can! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Good luck on your budget trimming!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Smart Layers