Translate

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Let Your Light Shine

image from atlantaintownpaper.com
Since 6 a.m. I've been up.
I put breakfast in the oven
saw my son for 5 minutes
woke up the other 4
sent the teen off to her morning babysitting job
warmed up the car
collected the laundry
got myself ready (sorta, I forgot to brush my teeth!)
sholved in ate my breakfast
left the dirty pans on the stove
made a cup of coffee to go
and picked up the neighbor kids
for the morning school run

oh but wait, this entry isn't about everything I do within the first hour of my day

As I was driving around town this morning I saw a home with their Christmas lights still on. I was struck how, in the morning hours, the lights just aren't nearly as pretty as they are at night.

And that got me thinking about the instruction the bible gives us about being the light of the earth.
Jesus said, "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on it's stand, and it gives light to everyone inthe house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see you good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." the Book of Matthew 5:14-16 NIV
If it's true that the holiday lights are so much more beautiful when lit at night, couldn't the same be said for the light that we carry inside of us? You see, I believe we have luninous capabilities. I believe when God breathed in Adam at the beginning of time He still resides in us with every breath we take. Whether we recognize Him or not. I think that breath, that life, is like Light and Love. And I think we can share it. I think we should share our light. As the old children's Sunday school song sings, "Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine!"

Those simple holiday lights shining in the morn got me thinking ... is it enough to let the light shine? Or should we illuminate the dark places so that the Light we share becomes even more beautiful? And if the answer is yes, shouldn't we strive to position ourselves in dark places?

But it's the dark places.
Scary places.
Unlovely places.
Where hurts reside
and anger bubbles under the surface.

Yes. It's all these things and more. Which is precisely why the light is so desperately needed.

Do you carry light?

If you can smile
give
encourage
speak kindly
help
volunteer
or share

you have light.

Giving, especially this time of year, from what you have is a glorious act. Everyone, rich or poor, can offer a smile or hug - can say a kind word, be extra patient and look for ways to encourage your fellow mankind rather than destroy. Tearing down is easy. Building takes work.

Don't bring dark to dark.
Bring light to dark.
Waltz into darkness bearing joy and happiness and watch how beautiful the Light is when it shines.


Someone has waltzed into the dark crevice of my heart this week. Stay tuned as I flesh out my thoughts and feelings on what it feels like to have the dark in you exposed by the love and light of others.




To Write a Better Story

In a world where there are more blogs than time to read I thank you for reading mine! Please share with a friend or subscribe by entering your email in the box!


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers