Translate

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What's the Voice in Your Head?

Made a wrong turn once or twice
Dug my way out, blood and fire
Bad decisions, that's alright
Welcome to my silly life
 
Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss 'No way, it's all good'
It didn't slow me down.
Mistaken, always second guessing
Underestimated, look I'm still around

You're so mean when you talk About yourself. You were wrong.
Change the voices in your head Make them like you instead.
 
So complicated,
Look happy, You'll make it!
Filled with so much hatred Such a tired game
It's enough, I've done all I could think of
Chased down all my demons
I've seen you do the same
 
Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than perfect
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you're perfect to me
 
(that is an edited excerpt from a song entitle F***ing Perfect - check it out on YouTube here)



Maybe you recognize that song. Maybe you don't. Maybe you like Pink. Maybe you think pink is a color. REGARDLESS
how powerful are the words?
"Change the voices in your head. Make them like you instead"

Yesterday's blog was my opinion about being intentional with your life. Making a difference with what you've been given. (read it here) But how does one do that?

I'm a firm believer that the biggest enemy of ourselves is ourselves.

I call her my "IN-a-ME" (pronounced enemy)

That voice in our head that says you can't
you'll fail
you'll suck
you'll embarrass yourself
people will laugh
that's a dumb idea
who do you think you are...
it's THAT voice that keeps you from freedom.

Did you know you can change that voice?
Did you know that voice doesn't rule you - you rule it!
It's true!
I'm not talking about the power of positive thinking
I'm talking about thinking about what you think about.
Your thoughts don't have to be wild and free and damaging
The voice inside your head can be tamed and taught and changed.

I was reminded of these very things this week as I read a blog by Michael Hyatt
(Please consider reading it the full link)
Here are his 5 suggestions for changing the story in your head:

  1. Recognize the voice in your head. It doesn’t matter where it is coming from (your parents, a teacher, an abusive spouse); just recognize that it is happening.
  2. Jot down what the voice is saying. It might be something like:
    • “You’re too young.”
    • “You’re too old.”
    • “You’re uneducated.”
    • “You’re over-educated.”
    • “You don’t have enough experience.”
    • “You don’t have the right experience.”
    This could be literally anything. Listen carefully and write it down word-for-word.
  3. Evaluate whether this story is empowering. Is it enabling you to accomplish the outcomes you want or is it preventing you from doing so. Be honest. (Sometimes, people are addicted to their problems and the stories that create them.)
  4. Write down a different story. I’m not talking about a bunch of positive thinking mumbo jumbo. I am talking about telling yourself the truth. And often, this is simply a matter of shifting your perspective.
  5. Start telling yourself the new story. Every time your inner narrator begins telling the old yarn, stop him. Say, “No! That’s baloney. Here’s the truth.” Then repeat your new story.


Why did I take the time today to write about this? Because P!nk's song is right on the money! You are too important to your loved ones and this planet to spend one more minute of your life believing the negative voices in your head. You are perfect!
To who? To yourself.
You are perfect for you.







In a day when there are more blogs than time to read I thank you for reading mine!
Please share it with a friend or subscribe to have my blog emailed to your inbox!
Thanks.



Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis Smart Layers