Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2011

You Don't Know

I sat in
section 3012
row V
seat 8
otherwise known as the nosebleed section.

There were only two rows between me and the back wall. That's how high up we were.
I was at a Taylor Swift concert in St. Louis over the weekend. I'm not particularly a fan (not that's there's anything wrong with that) but I'll admit - it was a great show! I went to celebrate my daughter's Sweet 16! She and three of her friends had a blast and rocked out all night long. It didn't matter I didn't know the words to any of the songs ... I was happy that she was happy!

Half way through the set one song in particular caught my attention. Mean
"...But you don't know what you don't know..."
Let that roll around your head for a minute.

You don't know
what
you don't know.

There is a lot I don't know. A lot I don't understand. But subsequently there is an awful lot I do know. I clearly know what I know and have no idea what I don't.

Forgive me, I'm not trying to go all Freudian this morning, and I don't usually get my personal theology from a nineteen year old pop/country star. It's just that I think it's important to embrace what we do know. I think we should embrace the fact we don't know everything ... won't know everything .... shouldn't know everything.

And be ok with that.

Because if we spend our days worrying about what we don't know, what we missed because we weren't aware, then I think we'll always miss the present. If I didn't know something then ... and I discover it now ... I can't mourn the fact that I missed the opportunity because I didn't know it existed at the right time.

I don't believe my life is an accident. I'm not sure I believe every moment of my day is Divinely orchestrated either. I think I'm somewhere in between.

What I am sure of is life is full of choices: choices to be present, choices to be happy, choices to be content, choices to make the most of it, choices to live life respectfully and integrious.

Or you can choose to focus on what you don't know. Choose to fear the unknown. Choose to worry about what you might be missing out on.

I choose life.
I choose health.
I choose to focus on what I do know.
I think that's an element in writing my life into a great story.
And if the Great Author in heaven chooses to interrupt my story with facts from the past, well, then I'll deal with that chapter when it begins.

And yet, I sense a new chapter on my horizon.

In case you're interested, here's the Taylor Swift video for the song "Mean"


"But you don't know what you don't know"


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining my site Serendipity! Welcome! I'm so glad you joined me here. As you can see we a small group but we don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Taylor Swift. She is so brilliant for a girl her age... so many of her songs have spoken to me, and even started a conversation with my oldest about different things. Especially her song "15".

    I bought my oldest tickets for Christmas in 2009 and we saw her in Peoria. It was a great concert.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Smart Layers