Pages

Translate

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Know What it Means to have Plenty

I have something hidden deep in my heart. It's a secret. It's a concern. It's a situation that seems to never end. I can't hardly shake it - how can it when it's my reality? But when the weight of it gets too hard to carry, when I'm about to drop out emotionally, I get a day like yesterday.

Another week had gone by and once again the Tribe managed to devour every ounce of food we purchased just days ago.
Thank goodness it was grocery shopping day the cupboards needed to be filled.
Desperately.
Now I don't know if you enjoy grocery shopping - to me it seems like an endless, winless game.
I buy it they eat it.
I buy more they eat more.
It never ends.

But then I got good news.
An opportunity. January and February just looked a little brighter.

And then I got a message. Would I like some free sweet corn?
<----------This is what I got!
(Maybe a good 10 dozen!)

And then another call. Come over for a special delivery. A thoughtful gift.

We gathered the kids round the table. Shared with them all the good news, all the blessings we received. A job. An offer. A gift. More corn than we could possibly eat in a day. The prayer that evening was certainly heartfelt as we literally had quite a bounty by the end of the day.

I woke with a bare kitchen and went to bed with an abundance! and that's what I needed. My psyche needed a little boost. I little reminder that it is ok! it will be ok. Isn't it always?

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:12 NIV)