Pages

Translate

Saturday, July 2, 2011

I have just gotten some of the best news of the year -to date!

This blog began almost a year ago because I made the conscious decision to pursue my dream of writing.

Questions I am regularly asked:
What do you want to write? (everything I know a lot about)
What will your book be about? (someday)

I'd like to think that this blog has been a bit of a training ground for me! A chance to practice my writing skills, place to work out my thoughts and hopefully pick up a few faithful readers along the way (for encouragement).

Today though, I took some time to go back through all the bloggers I follow and catch up on about a week's worth of stuff I wanted to read! That's when I came across this on Michael Hyatt's blog:




Backstage with Seth Godin from Michael Hyatt on Vimeo.

I'll save you the time of explaining who Seth Godin is (google him in your spare time) but let's just say he's pretty much a marketing genius.... and the bearer of my own personal Good News!

His advice to wanna-be writers like me, give away your first book. GIVE IT AWAY !?! Say what? The way of publishers and publishing companies is the way of dinosaurs. If you want to be a successful writer you write your first book, save it in a PDF and then email it to your 20 closest friends and loved ones. If they like it they'll forward it on to 20 people, if they don't you're probably not a good writer and you shouldn't pursue writing. If they do like it and those 400 people each forward it on to another 20 then that's 8,000 readers who got your book for free. Suddenly you've gone come out from obscurity and Godin says, the publishers will be lining up out your door for your next book!

How much relief does this give me? I'm so small. So rural! So...nobody with no connections. But if I can write well....and get it all down.....and email it to you....and you like it....then my dream (!!), my dream of making a difference with my words will come true!

The dog days are over my friends....I got some serious work to do!


What do you think? Is that a crazy notion? Should you give away your first baby? Lemme hear your thoughts: