Translate

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Honey!

Happy Father's Day
 Kids!
I got five of 'em which means my quivers full, my kitchen is forever a mess and I'm a frequent visitor to the edge of sanity.

Kinda not kidding.

Someone recently asked me what would be the name of my memoir should it be published today.
That' was so easy:
"Go Ask Your Father!!!!!"

For years I've been trying to get our kids to ask their father for help. God as my witness they will walk right past him in the kitchen in order to find me and ask me to pour them a drink from the refrigerator!

RIGHT PAST HIM!

This has been happening for years despite all my best efforts to the contrary.


Well last night was a historical moment and I've just GOT to share.

It's 4:00 a.m. and I stir slightly as I hear the pitter patter of little feet entering the bedroom. I don't open my eyes I just wait for the inevitable whisper, "Mom! MOM! Moooooooo-oooooom!"

But it doesn't happen.
Nobody calls my name.
I become more alert now simply out of shear shock.
But I don't move.
I'm no dummy!

Instead I hear, "Dad! I need a nightlight!"

I freeze. I am not going to move. I am not going to give my six year old daughter or my husband even the faintest opportunity to think I might be awake.

I think I even hold my breath.

My darling husband flings back the covers and will tuck our daughter back in. I think I hear him mumbling some sort of  reason with our daughter, "The sun will be up in an hour, hon, you don't need a night light now!"

I hear her protesting but together they leave and head down the hall.

Oh. My. Gosh!
I can't believe she didn't ask me. I can't believe she went to his side of the bed first. I can't believe I'm still in bed while darling hubby is dealing with her insane predawn demands.

I fall back to sleep with a smile on my face.

The next morning Abby tells me that Daddy wouldn't get her a nightlight when she needed one. Clearly she's trying to garner sympathy..of which of course I have none.

Then she adds, "Mommy, Daddy's breath was very bad!"

Classic right?

Leave it to your child to
a. disturb your sleep
b. make a ridiculous demand
c. insult you in the process

Well, darling, this blog is dedicated to you! Thanks for rising to the occasion when our children remembered to ask you for something (especially since it was at 4 a.m.). Happy Fathers Day, babe! If the kids need something tonight I'll actually consider helping them myself. That's super nice of me, right?

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet.
    I also hold my breath when the baby only wants daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Smart Layers