Pages

Translate

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pros & Cons of Working from Home

I was recently interviewed (I'll post the link when I get it) and asked about the pros & cons of working from home. Does it make you a more or less effective parent?
Great question, eh?
Below you will find my off-the-cuff answer! But I'd be curious to know how you feel about the subject. I'm in a unique situation where I've had a part time job where I go to an office but my missions work and writing happens at home. So I go to AND stay home to work.


Q:How does working from home make you a better parent and in what ways can it make you less effective?
My A: My type-A personality is an extreme help and hindrance in my attempt to work at home from my dining room table. Yep! That’s right...my dining room table. We’ve got 7 people squeezed into a 1600 square foot home. There is no space for a home office. Rare is the day we all gather around the dining room table for a proper meal (which is sad as it’s the only table that has room for all 7 of us at the same time!).a better parent and in what ways can it make you a less effective parent? I want to explore the pros and cons! a better parent and in what ways can it make you a less effective parent? I want to explore the pros and cons!
But I love being “on location”. All my kids are within earshot (which makes it very possible to keep a pulse on their activities. I can hear them in the basement, in their bedrooms and in the backyard....
Which also makes it near impossible to focus. How my husband has the ability to block out all the background noise is a gift and impartation I’d die for!
If someone gets hurt...I’m there. If a child needs attention...I can give it. Should an emergency happen...I can take care of it.  All benefits to working from home.
Unfortunately it goes the other way as well. Much to my chagrin I cannot seem to communicate to my 5 children just precisely what is an appropriate cause for interruption.
“Mom! Can I have a drink?”
“Mom he’s gonna hit me!”
“Mom! Whatcha doin?”
“Mom!”
“MOM!”
“Mom!”
Should, however, the sweet moment come when all 5 are fed, watered, safe and occupied my type-A personality kicks in and I can work at an incredibly efficient pace. I’m convinced there are days that I am more productive with a handful of hours I can squeeze out at home than an entire day sitting at the office.
It’s never boring, that’s for sure! Living and working from home are a day by day adventure and no two days are ever the same!
And that’s good for my adventurous spirit as well!

What about you? How do you feel about it....would you work at home if you could?