Pages

Translate

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Cherries are Coming!



This picture might not mean a thing to you
but it means the world to me.

Maybe you can't distinguish what kind of blossoms these are
but I'll never forget.

It's quite probable that you can't possibly fathom giving my blog entry a second thought
but nothing else is on my mind today.

You see, this is a cherry tree. It's located on the broadway of my front yard. It's probably seven - maybe eight - years old and never, has it ever blossomed.

Some told us you can't have a single cherry tree - that we needed two for pollination purposes.

Some pointed out that the tree was sick. And indeed it has a gaping wound in it's trunk that appears to be 'leaking' sap.

We googled and investigated but we were never certain as to why our precious tree was barren. One year we had a single blossom. Last year, the tree budded a few flowers. But this year.... this year.... just look!

I was so accostomed to the cherry tree not producing fruit that I hadn't even realized the tree had blossomed this spring. I've been so disappointed with this tree that I completely put it out of my mind that it could ever possibly bear fruit.

Isn't that sad? I forgot to expect cherries from my cherry tree.

Will we get cherries this year? It looks like it. I certainly hope so. I hope that our tree is bountiful. I hope I can make a pie. I hope that this tree is a sign of things to come in my life. I hope all the barren fruitless areas of my life are on the verge of blossoming. I hope the tree of my life is about to burst forth with a sweet fragrance and glorious beauty.

Is it possible? We'll see.